Figure 1: Graphical representation of phases for Aratos Disaster Control™
The set of services provided within Aratos Disaster Control™, covers three basic phases
for a fire-crisis event:
- Response and
Order it with AratosFire, a fire simulation tool which can be used in all phases of a fire-crisis event. AratosFire uses spatial information on topography and fuels along with weather and wind files. For more details visit the product’s website.
During the prevention phase (PRE-FIRE), a regularly updated cartography of a region is provided, accompanied by high resolution digital maps.
The service includes:
- Detail mapping of concrete regions (urban, semi-urban, rural, forestalls etc.) and infrastructures (buildings, populated centres, other infrastructures) using recent satellite imageries.
- Estimation of fire risk index, that is based in various parameters like the vegetation index, the ground topology, the infrastructure of the area, the human intervention in the nature, the temperature, the force and direction of wind.
The services provided for the response phase (CRISIS) involve:
- Rapid fire mapping for large fire events, delivering mapping products and damage assessment for fire events with highest update rate 15-30 minutes and
- SMS-Email alert to registered users.
The set of services provided for the recovery phase (POST-FIRE) involve:
- High Accuracy Burn Scan Mapping.
- Assessment of cultivatable and forest areas affected.
- Categorisation of burned areas (forestal, agricultural, inhabited regions).
- Complete damage assessment and mapping of the affected region. The mapping is produced on scale: 1:5000, 1:25000, 1:100000, depending on the requirements and the needs.
Benefits of the System
Assets Mapping- Area Maps
- In prevention phase: helps to update area at risks, and to refine rescue plans. It provides a better and up-to-date knowledge and is valuable information to support the decision of population evacuation in a given area.
- In crisis phase: it provides a valuable information to support the deployment of civil protection services, Better management of rescue resources before and during response (positioning of forces with respect to threatened “assets”),
- For post-crisis phase: it provides reliable information for damage assessment and a better estimation of socio-economic losses after a fire event.
Fire Risk Index-Mapping of Risk Zones
The main added-value is the compilation and the presentation of data in a very convenient and efficient way. It can be used for deployment of ground observing towers, patrols and posts.
In addition it can help the local authorities and the fire-fighting command center to plan in advance team deployment strategy.
It can also provide a suggestion on how fast given fire will grow and what area it will affect.
Rapid Fire Mapping
This service delivers information support during crisis phases. It responds to the needs of crisis management actors, by the rapid delivery of maps and damage assessment reports at high resolution shortly after the crisis. It constitutes a value-adding service that helps users to rapidly assess crisis situation, allows for planning of team deployment, as well as gives valuable information to local authorities, especially if populated places and other assets are at risk.
Rapid Damage Assessment
Global, aggregated picture of fire situation:
- better awareness of fire situation, anticipation of needs for exchange of means, anticipation of possible fire propagation to other regions
- support to strategic planning: set of priorities and management of resources
- preparation of rapid reports related to damages
Last 48 hours fires in larger area detected
SMS alert to specified user mobile phones
High accuracy Burn Scar Mapping
This service allows a global estimate of damage and lost natural resources. This information is very helpful for forestry services to elaborate the plantation campaign, but also for fire fighting services. It is useful in the following crisis phases:
- During post-fire phase: it provides reliable information on the extent of fires and supports the damage assessment.
- In pre-fire phase: it helps to update area at risks for fires and prepare the next fires campaigns, regarding the refinement of rescue plans.
Assessment of cultivatable and forest areas affected
The service allows authorities and organizations to:
- claim compensations from compensation funds
- assess overall damages
- plan for re-cultivation of agricultural land and re-plantation of forest.